A Brief History of The Corn Mill
Records show that the Mill dates back as far as 1310 when it was owned by Robert de Clifford, having been handed to the powerful Clifford family by the then King Edward II. However what we see of the Mill today is only half of what existed back then, when two mills operated to produce corn for the whole of Skipton.
At this point the Mill held the monopoly on grinding corn for the town, and it wasn’t until the C19th that this was lifted, giving Skipton residents the option to pay a ‘mulcture-toll’ instead.
In 1954 the castle estate was broken up, and a decade later the Mill came into the hands of Geoge Leatt, a local businessman, who then converted it into an industrial museum and seed merchants.
The Mill has passed through several hands over the years, and also been known under various different names. Originally called the Water-Corne Milne, it went on to become the Soke Mill until finally finding the name we all know it by today, High Corn Mill.